Saturday, August 4, 2007

Chickens and Pynchon

I want to have a house with chickens that run free. Like in a third-world country. Is this possible? I'm sure it violates some health code or other. But, honestly, how cool would that be?

On another note, I've--once again--started reading Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow. This will be attempt four or five, I can't remember. But, this time, I have another tool at my disposal. Zak Smith, a young, American artist did a piece currently on view and The Walker Art Center (where I work, incidentally). He did one drawing for each page of the book. An epic undertaking, considering that Gravity's Rainbow is beyond complex and is a rather difficult read (okay, a really, really difficult read). I bought the book of his drawings and am making myself stop after each page and look at his interpretations. This prevents my normal problem with Pynchon, where I lose myself in his cul-de-sac prose and end up reading an entire chapter and at the end thinking, "when the hell did he start having sex with a one-limbed prostitute," or "when did he start talking about black Nazis?"

Check it out here.